Wednesday, February 18, 2009

New Study Shows Link Between Driving And Nasal Fixation

It started with the guy who was keeping pace with me on the freeway. It always kind of unnerves me when a vehicle is traveling right next to me at the same rate of speed; i always figured courtesy demanded one of you slow down or speed up to gain that sort of staggered spacing that's more conducive to evading potential collisions, you know? This guy, apparently didn't feel that way. I looked over at him, and there he was- buried up to the second knuckle in his right nostril, and completely oblivious to my open-mouthed staring. I decided to be the one to give the courtesy slow-down.

Over the next couple of weeks, I noticed frequent occurrences where people were driving in my vicinity and either picking, scratching, or in some way fucking with their noses. I was mortified when one morning on my way to work, i caught myself scratching the inside of my own nose in traffic. I wasn't trying to be discreet about it or anything, i was just scratching away like i was alone in my bathroom or something. I quickly jerked my finger out of my nose and looked around, to see someone staring at me with what i imagine was a similar expression to the one i wore with the discourteous freeway driver.

So what is it about being in our vehicles that makes us feel so anonymous and unobserved? Especially where dislodging something from our noses is concerned? Pay attention to the people driving around you. I guarantee you'll see more nasal digging than you ever thought you would.

No comments: