Monday, April 28, 2008

Texting

I have several friends who are militant nontexters. If i even suggest the possibility of sending a text message, they flip out at me. "That costs me fifteen cents every time you do that!" (nevermind that they dropped $700 on an iPhone. . . It's the fifteen cent texts that really keeps em up at night. Though to be fair, not all of them own expensive phones).

I'm not a big fan of talking on the phone. Nothing gets my goat quite like just wanting, say, someone's phone number or email address, and having to actually call someone up and spend half an hour on the phone in random conversation just to get something that shouldn't have even taken five minutes.

Prime example: I'm supposed to go in to work half an hour early each day to tutor my co worker before a class she has to attend next month. Five minutes before my alarm is scheduled to go off at the new half-hour-too-early-for-me time, I get a text message from this co worker telling me not to come in early because she has to leave early and won't be there anway. Fucking score! Not only do i get to sleep for an extra half hour, i didn't have to actually wake up for a conversation to deliver that information, which would have prevented me from falling back asleep anyway.

Anyhow, this isn't a rant at my nontexting friends so much as an example of how texting can, in fact, be useful; even desirable.

P.S. This isn't directed at you, Ang <3

No comments: