Sunday, June 7, 2009

I Know It Isn't All About Me

I have lots of annoying personality traits. I mean, when my parents conceived me, it's like they intentionally waited until my mom felt like this particular egg contained five eggs' worth of irritating personality traits. That way, no matter which swimmer reached the prize, the result would be an individual guaranteed to make people want to get away from it within moments of having met it. Those dumb enough to befriend it would wish they'd heeded their first instincts.

Yes, indeed, folks, you are reading the ramblings of just such an individual. Save the "Awe, you're not that bad" type sympathies (and if you're having a "You sure the fuck are!" antipathy, save that too, because i don't want to fucking hear it), because i'm about to tell you about one of my least favourite flaws. I think most people have at least one aspect of their personality they'd be willing to undergo an exorcism for, if it meant they'd quit being like that, and mine is the habit of making everything about me, in conjunction with my habit of interrupting people.

Half the time, i don't even realize i'm doing it. Someone will be telling a story or sharing an experience, and i just cut them right off to tell them about my similar experience. Sometimes i don't interrupt, but i still tell them my experience after they're finished. After half an hour with me, i come off as a one-upping Been There Done That bitch who can't shut the fuck up for five minutes.

I think about it later, and i just can't figure out what it is about me that can't listen to someone's weekend recounting without putting in my two cents. Why can't i just say, "Oh that sounds like fun" and ask questions? I mean, they didn't ask about my weekend, i asked about theirs; now i look like i only asked as a segue to my own weekend activities, when i genuinely was interested in their weekend.

I'm thinking it must be because i have difficulty relating to others, and that's my pain-in-the-ass way of compensating. I want that person to know that i understand, and here's why [insert my similar situation here]. I don't mean to make it all about me. I really don't.

No comments: