Monday, July 13, 2009

Amazingly Awesome

I have a fairly decent vocabulary. It's something i take pride in, though i don't normally mention it, as it makes me feel like i sound self-centered. I like language a lot, and word origins interest me. A pleasant side-effect of knowing where a word comes from is that it helps keep it on the front of the mental shelf, stored and ready for convenient future use. Helps a lot in crossword puzzles, too.

So why is it i find myself falling back on the words "amazing" and "awesome" about eighty percent of the time i'm trying to compliment someone or something? I cringe every time i hear myself refer to something as amazing, or say "awesome" in response to someone's weekend. I sound so insincere, even though i don't FEEL insincere. I think the only reason i get away with it is that everyone else is currently in love with those two words, too.

So! My personal goal: not to use either word for the rest of the week. I endeavor to make use of more meaningful compliments and more creative affirmations. I want to really think about the things i'm saying to people, rather than to fly on verbal autopilot.

No comments: