Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Electing The Anti-Christ Is A One-Way Ticket To Hell

I have a lot of things i want to blog about right now, but before i do, i thought i'd share this conversation i had with one of the guys at work today. We'll call him "Bob".

It started with me and a friend of mine (we'll call him "Paul") discussing Mrs. Palin and her daughter's current plight. Paul was giving his opinion that he didn't think it would affect the Republican vote because all they care about is whether she's going to keep the baby and get married to the father. I was expressing my skepticism at her ability to sell this to the Family Values Save-It-For-Marriage conservatives.

Bob was bringing me a basket of freshly opened syringes when he politely interjected himself into the conversation (which i didn't mind, Bob's a pretty nice guy and the conversation was far from private). He asked, "Is it going to cause you not to vote for Mc Cain?" I laughed a little and said i'd never been planning to vote for Mc Cain, but even if i had, then chances are a teenage pregnancy in the family wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me.

Bob looked aghast. "You're not voting for him, are you?"
Me: You mean Senator Obama?
Bob: Yes, him.
Me: Actually, i probably will
Bob (looking sadly at me): Well, gee, that's too bad. I really liked you, Christie.

Well, that certainly creeped me out, but i kept the smile plastered on my face and asked: What do you mean by that?

Bob (looking around him briefly before whispering): Don't you know? He's the Antichrist!
Me (doing my best to keep a straight face): You really think so?
Bob: YES! I know it's not in the bible anywhere, but i'm pretty sure you're going to Hell if you elect the Antichrist to public office.
Me (refusing to look at Paul, knowing i'll burst out laughing if i do): Huh. Well, i suppose the election of the Antichrist probably won't work too favourably with the Almighty at all. It's definitely something to think about.
Bob (smiling at me and patting my hand): There's a good girl.

Now, don't get me wrong, i wasn't really laughing AT Bob. It was just a very strange conversation; I never really thought i'd be having a conversation about the pros and cons of electing the Antichrist to office. And he was so very earnest about the whole thing! I couldn't help but giggle a little on the inside.

No comments: