Saturday, January 22, 2011

Now I Know What People Mean When They Say, "It's not the flavor- it's the texture that sicks me out"!


I'm really trying to give whole wheat pasta a chance, but it's just so. . . mealy. I haven't been able to make the leap yet, even though I started off small; I switched from semolina pasta to semolina/whole grain blend, and that wasn't so bad. The flavor was virtually identical, and the texture was only slightly off. After a few dinners, I couldn't even tell that I wasn't eating white pasta anymore.

Satisfied I'd mastered the first step toward whole-grain-dom, I tried to take it to the next level: I bought a box of whole wheat spaghetti. The flavor was noticeably different, and not even unpleasantly so, but I couldn't believe how NASTY the texture was! I thought at first that I'd undercooked it, so I threw it back in the water and boiled it for a while longer. It got mushier, but it retained its graininess, and I ended up just chucking the whole thing and going back to my blend.

Every now and then, I'll come across a box that promises improved texture (I must not be the only one who thinks it's inedibly gritty), and I buy it, full of hope that this time will be the time I can finally convert to whole grain. I go home and cook it, all the while suppressing the fear that the manufacturer was lying to me; my fears are always realized, and I mutter curses at them for robbing me of ~2$. Jerks.

2 comments:

Angelia said...

Try the Aldi's Fit and Active brand. I don't mind whole wheat pasta but Rob and the kids say it's the best one yet.

I am totally the texture girl. Iceburg lettuce, beans and peas, tomatoes, broccoli ...all kind of shit grosses me out when it touches my mouth. Like totally sets off my (nearly non-existant :P ) gag reflex.

Corpus Christie said...

I don't think I've tried that one yet, I'll give it a whirl. It'll probably be the last time for a good while If I don't like it.

I know you are, and I never really understood what you meant until whole wheat pasta entered my mouth.

*shudder*