Friday, May 23, 2008

I Just Woke Up . . .

. . .on the first day into our fourth year as a married couple, and the first day into our seventh year together. Let me tell ya, it's an unbelievable feeling.

The first year was a bit rocky, as we got to know each other and worked out some major issues that were going to either make or break us as a couple. Though some of those experiences were trying for a new relationship, i'm glad we were forced to develop our mutual problem-solving at such an early stage, or we might not have made it.
Our relationship emerged a lot stronger because of the start we had.

The next two were also difficult, through no fault of ours, but because of our experiences during our first year together, we were strong enough to face these trying years successfully and with solidarity.

After that, it's been a happy blur of becoming close friends with his kids, planning and having our wedding, buying a house, picking up and moving to another state, changing jobs. . . Of course problems still rear their ugly heads once in a while, but we deal with them almost effortlessly and arguements are very few and very far between.

The major events've been great, and i have a lot of fond memories of them, even when things weren't so fun at the time. But i really feel like it's the little things that've defined us and shaped us into the couple we are. Things like when he bought me a card for no reason at all, all the litte hurts i've suffered at the hands of others that he's nursed me through, the movie he took me to see that he REALLY wasn't interested in, the times he's done the dishes so i wouldn't have to, taking me to Applebee's even though he's sick and tired of that place, the odd-ball pet names we call each other. . .

Looking back over the entirety of our relationship, i can honestly say this is the happiest i've ever been with another person. I trust him with my heart, my thoughts, and my life. I love him like a best friend. I love him like soulmate. And to know that all my feelings are returned and felt in equal measure toward me is more than i could have ever hoped for.

No comments: