Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sleeping In The Shower

Sometimes when i wake up all groggy and tired, i fall back asleep when i get into the shower. I don't mean to, it just kinda happens that way. This dream was an in-the-shower-dream.

My friend Lisa had invited me to a party at her house and came to pick me up. We pulled up in front of her house and it was HUGE! I'm talking pillars in front, underground garage, indoor pool huge! I looked at Lisa and was like, "Damn, you never told me you were rich!". She smiled at me and said, "What can i say? The crematory business is always brisk".

We got out of the car and started climbing the steps, and to my dismay, we weren't getting any closer. I looked back, and i could tell we'd been climbing stairs for a while, but when i looked back at the house, it was still just as far away as if i'd put my foot on the first step. I looked at Lisa, and she was smiling at me, as though she was waiting for me to get the joke. I stared back at her, not knowing what to say. She laughed and said, "It's the latest in home burglary protection. If they can't get to your house, they can't rob you!" I laughed along with her, though i had no idea what i was laughing at. She held up what looked like on of those keyless entry remotes for a car and pointed it at the house. A few seconds later, we were standing onthe doorstep, panting for breath. I could hear music playing and people talking inside. Odd, that the party would have started without her, i thought.

We went inside, and if a house could be bigger on the inside than the outside, this house was. From the outside, it looked like a three-storey house.
Inside, it reminded me of being in one of those hotels where the rooms and hallways make a square ring around a central courtyard. Standing in what i could only think of as The Atrium, i could see all the way up to the roof, with eight floors between myself and it. There was a huge pool taking up most of the ground floor of The Atrium, and it was teeming with people. There were people everywhere, dancing, singing, eating, smoking. . . i felt overwhelmed by the sheer number of people in the house. I began stepping backwards toward a corner to get away from them, and i kept stumbling over more people on the floor. Lisa, noticing my distress, took my arm and said, "There's no one in my room, let's go in there." I nodded shakily and asked if we could please take the elevator this time. She laughed at me.

We stepped into the glass elevator, and she pushed the button for the top floor (of course, i thought to myself). As we went up, i could see the people on the various floors. The closer we got to the top, the more packed and crammed they seemed to be. There were people actually dangling from the railing on the top floor. I dreaded making my way over this mass of flesh to her room, but when the door opened, it wasn't on a hallway, it was to her room.

As she promised, there was no one in there. Relieved, i looked around for the bed, wanting to collapse into it. There was all the usual things you'd expect to find in a bedroom: a dresser, an armoire, a closet, an entertainment center. . . but no bed. In the center of the floor was a massive bath tub sunk into the ground, and a shower head on the ceiling. When you stood in the bath tub and turned on the water, it'd be like showering in the rain. The pure opulence of it was amazing to me! As if anticipating my question, Lisa said to me, "There's no bed in here, i sleep in the bath tub. I looked down into it, and i could see pillows and blankets. I shrugged and stepped down into the tub, and she climbed in with me.

"Shouldn't you be out with your guests?", i asked her.
"Nah, they won't miss me. Most of them are here all the time, anyway", came her reply. Strange, i thought. The tub was much deeper than it looked from the top, and the closer i got to the bottom, the colder it got. I sat down on one of the pillows, shivering. Lisa sat behind me and put her arms around me, shivering too. "Is it always this cold in here?", i asked her. "Yes," she said, "That's what these blankets are for." I pulled the blankets over us, and we sat there together, huddled under the blankets and shivering. I felt so cold i could swear i was actually wet. . . "Did you turn the water on?", i asked her. "No, it's too cold for that. We'd die," she said.

I woke up freezing my ass off because the hot water had all run out. I stood up, irritated beyond belief because i hadn't even washed my hair yet.

No comments: