Monday, January 5, 2009

I Don't Have Time For This Shit!

Myspace breeds some rather interesting individuals. I'd heard/read of others coming across these strange people, but had yet to encounter any myself. I just had my own close encounter with the semi-obsessive Myspacer, and, consequently, my first experience with blocking someone.

Around Thanksgiving, i wrote a blog and made it friends-only. Out of this action, i got a friends request from someone, and to my surprise, he was honest in his reason for requesting me:

I read your blog and noticed this one was friends only, and i want to read it.

Something along those lines. So i accepted, and over time things got real interesting (or annoying, depending on your perspective).

For one thing, Myspace seemed to be the focus of his daily activities: I got more comments and messages than i could easily keep up with. I do my best to return comments and, though i like them a little less depending on who they're coming from, messages in a timely fashion. However, when i'm bombarded with either one, i start picking and choosing which ones i respond to. I don't mean to be offensive, it's just that my time to spend on Myspace is fairly limited, and the thing i like to do best here is read (and sometimes write) blogs.

At one point, he deleted me from his friends. Not really a big deal, though i did wonder briefly if i was being too unresponsive. A couple of days later, he requested me back, i forget the reason he gave for deleting me in the first place.

After that, it was pressure. Pressure to change my song, my profile, remove videos, add videos, read this blog, try this game. . . So much so that some of my other friends started sending me "What the fuck is with THIS guy?!" messages. My husband absolutely loathed this guy. It was eStalking, in his opinion. I didn't really agree, though, because i'd cruised the profiles of other people on his friends list, and he seemed to pay them the same amount of overbearing attention.

He deleted me again. This time it was because i had told him i liked to read, but i had failed to make it to a blog he had recommended. Uh, okay. He and i obviously had different ideas on what "recommended" means. And it isn't that i blew it off, I just hadn't gotten around to it yet.

And then re-added me. Hmm. I should have just said no, but i accepted. After all, it's just Myspace.

After a few days, he deleted me again, citing the reason as someone was posting things about his personal life, and he didn't know who it was, so everyone had to go. I found this to be both laughable and insulting at the same time. After all, i knew practically nothing about this guy, and even if i did, i didn't know ANYONE who would have given a rat's ass about the details of his life. He didn't seem to get that i had better things to do than to spread e-rumours about people i barely know.

Then he re-added me with an interesting message about someone having hacked his account, and sending a bunch of fucked up messages to his friends, and that if i had received one, i was to disregard it. My repsonse was that i got a message, but it sounded EXACTLY like something he would have said, but if it made him happy to delete and add me daily, then to have at it, because i didn't much care at that point.

Of course, after a week or so, he deleted me again. I could always tell when he'd deleted me because he would go to my profile and delete all the comments he'd left. Odd behaviour, i thought, but i wasn't in the habit of deleting people, so maybe this was typical Myspace break-up behaviour. It seemed like a waste of time to me. Before he could decide to re-add me, i decided to block him.

I just don't have time for this kind of drama. So if you're reading this (you know who you are), i'm sorry you found me to be a less-than-satisfactory person. I'm sure you'll construe this as spreading rumours about you, but rest assured, this will be the last twenty minutes of my life i waste on you in any form. I just thought the whole two-month experience with knowing you was beyond a doubt, the strangest Myspace experience i've had to date.

No comments: