Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Sorry, What Was That?

Over the years, i've become quite deaf. Not Christy Smith-deaf, you understand, but somewhat hard-of-hearing, especially for my age. I attribute it to all the concerts i've attended without protection for my ears, the volume theaters like to play movie sound at these days, and driving a Jeep for the last eightish years. Okay, the volume at which i play my music probably had something to do with it, too, but i digress.

As a result of this loss of hearing sensitivity, i've noticed two annoying things: one thing that i do, and one thing that other people do TO me. I never noticed the thing that i do until it was pointed out to me yesterday by a buddy of mine while i was at work.

People i work with are well aware that i can't hear worth a damn. Rather, that i have difficulty distinguishing what they say over the background noise. Sometimes, i just get tired of saying, "Huh?", and "What?" and "Sorry, what was that?", and i just smile and nod or say something noncomittal. So John was telling me something yesterday that i just couldn't make out. I nodded and said something like "Okay". . . i honestly don't remember exactly what i said, and continued with whatever it was i was doing.

All the sudden he got really annoyed with me and burst out, "Why do you do that?!" Well. THAT certainly got my attention.

"Do what?"

"Act like you heard me when you know damn well you didn't! I said, 'Line 4 is for you, it's Capintec!'"

Fantastic. I almost missed a call i've been waiting for for a week now. I took the call, and hung up to find John standing over me. Nope, he wasn't going to let this go.

"You've gotta quit doing that."

"I know, i'm sorry. I will."

"You don't even know you're doing it! Fucking pay attention!"

"I said i will!" Jeeze, i didn't mean to blow him off. I just get so tired of asking people to repeat themselves. I didn't realize how often i was i was Smiling And Nodding at people. I can see how that'd be irritating as hell. I resolved not to be irritating as hell in that fashion anymore, though i had a sneaking suspicion people were gonna get right sick of saying everything more than once.

Then he did the thing that irritates the hell out of ME: he started saying something, then he turned around and walked away while still talking. Now i REALLY can't hear what he's saying.

"Seriously? You harangue me for not listening, but then you walk away and expect me to hear what you're saying? I've TOLD you how much i hate that!"

He looked over his shoulder and smirked. Bastard.

No comments: