Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Jake


Old age weren't easy on Jake. He walked unsteady and uncoordinated, like each leg wanted t' go its own way, not mindin' where he wanted t' go. My Daddy said it was cause he'd been chained up a lot, and bein' yanked back by the chain damaged his spine and his nerves. Or somethin' 'long those lines. My uncle called 'im his Crippled-Up-Old-War-Veteran. Anyway, he couldn't hardly walk, and toward the end he needed help standin' up, too. He looked vicious as hell, but he was a big ole softy with bad gas. I shit you not. When he farted, you could see his whole butt hole open up t' let out the cloud, and i swear you could see it before it hitcha. I never knew anyone or anything that could clear a room as fast as Jake, Lord rest his soul.

Fish in particular tickled 'im. My uncle would bring 'im over, and instead of playin' with our dogs (which was real hard on his joints), he'd park that big smelly ass in front of our fish tank and look at it for hours. Sometimes he'd sit there quiet-like, and other times he'd get riled up watching them fish swim round. He'd fidget and whine at em. He'd bump the tank with his nose and yip. He'd breathe heavy, his tongue lollin' out the side of his mouth. When he wasn't lickin' at the glass. He reminded me of my uncle and my daddy (hollerin' at) watchin' the game with all that carryin'-on, only my uncle and dad never licked at the TV. I sure miss that old boy.

5 comments:

Angelia said...

Our dogs name was Max. She was a black lab that my parents bought when I was only about 5 years old. I was out of the house and had children when she passed. I have the best memories of her! My dad trained her and her puppies for several years. They were trained to be retreivers. We had so much fun throwing dummies for her and helping her learn commands. She was our feirce protector.

Corpus Christie said...

Jake was a doberman pinscher, and he belonged to my Uncle Ray (who isn't really my uncle). I knew Jake from the time i was 3, and he died when i was around 15 or 16.

The trouble with dogs is they don't live as long as we do :(

Angelia said...

It's true. It was awful when Max passed. She is buried in my parents back yard.

Alissa Grosso said...

It is sad that dogs are with us only a short time. I've known some real characters in my day, and Jake sounds like he was one as well.

Just before Thanksgiving when my sister told my niece that for the holiday she was going to get to see Grandma and Grandpa, Aunt Ali (me) and Jack (my dog), my niece's reaction was, "Jack? I'm going to see Jack? Yeah! Jack! Jack! Jack!" OK, she is only three, but I guess we all know who her favorite family member is!

Corpus Christie said...

Oh, that is TOO cute! I remember feeling that way about going to my uncle's house sometimes: "YES! We're gonna get to see Jake!"