Sunday, December 13, 2009

Occasionally, I Hate Blogging On MySpace


My primary blog is on MySpace (yeah, yeah, i know, MySpace is for 14 year old girls who like to spend their days taking/posting hundreds of pictures of themselves). Why do I blog there? I don't know, it's where I started and I have a steady readership over there. I have never had any hate comments (anyone who's ever blogged on MySpace knows all about those- they attack you as a person rather than what you've just written about), and I get some pretty good feedback from writers I like to read. I like how you can leave a kudo if you don't have anything in particular to say, but want the author to know you liked it. In short, it has its perks and its irritations, much like anything else in life.

Yesterday I experienced an unanticipated irritation.

Eventually, if you read the same people often enough, you start moving in the same circles as other readers of that persons blog. Sometimes, if they like your comments, they'll come read your blog. Very occasionally, someone you don't like ends up reading your blog, and you have to choose between responding neutrally to their comments, or telling them to go piss up a rope. Option 2 is the more honest, upfront thing to do, but then (depending on who it is) you risk the wrath of that person's whole blog circle coming down on you and bombarding you with hate comments/mails/messages/what-have-yous. It's an issue that seems to be unique to MySpace blogging, and I've never been bothered by it until a few weeks ago. Enter "Jane" (name changed to protect blah blah blah).

I've seen her comments on other blogs I've read before, and she'd replied to a few of the comments I'd left myself, but I don't really care for her. I found her to be a rather obsequious sycophant, and a long-winded one, at that. Anyhow, my policy for dealing with unpalatable online personalities is simply not to respond to them, and that's how I'd dealt with her in my infrequent brushings with her.

Then she started reading my blog. Fuck.

She pulls the same over-the-top OMG I AGREE WITH YOU SO MUCH type comments on mine as she does on everyone else's, and I'd decided to deal with her monosyllabically whenever possible. After all, when one kisses as much ass as she does, one gathers quite a few friends, and she sports quite a few drama bloggers as friends. Not a scene I'm interested in! I just want to post my rants about my daily life, my bits of fiction, random dreams, and be on my way. Preferably with mild interaction with my readers.

So she's been reading my blog for a few weeks now, and I popped over to her blog, out of courtesy, and read a little bit. She's an issues blogger, which is a turn-off to me in the first place, and the cause she champions isn't one that interests me. Throw in all the bad grammar and spelling, and I decided to politely unsubscribe.

That's polite, right? Unsubscribing quietly?

Apparently, it isn't. I got a message from her yesterday asking why she hadn't seen me commenting on her blog. Fuck, and double fuck! Now I'm back at my initial problem: be honest or be vague. Here's vague:

Sorry I haven't spent much time at your blog, I've got a lot of subscriptions and as much as I try to make it to everyone, I don't always succeed. I'll try to be better in the future.

Apologies,
Christie.

Then I can visit her blog daily and hit the kudos button, making it look as though i read it. But that's really WAY too much effort, and it's just downright dishonest. I already feel horrible just for having thought about it.

Here's honesty:

I don't have a lot of free time, and I'm not going to spend that little bit that I do have reading shit that I don't enjoy, by people I don't like. I don't expect people to read my blog just because I read theirs, I expect people to read it because they like it. If they don't like it? I'd prefer they politely unsubscribe and spend their time elsewhere- no drama, no flaming, no butt-hurtedness. Everybody wins! So please, unsubscribe in an undramatic fashion. You really would be doing me a solid.

Best of luck,
Christie.

And I honestly feel that way! I don't expect people to read me just because I read them. It doesn't change the fact that I enjoy their writing, and I'm going to continue reading it. I found out a long time ago that very few MySpace people feel this way- if they spend time reading and commenting your blog, they damn sure expect that you reciprocate. If you don't, most of the time, they just quietly unsubscribe (yay for quiet unsubscription!) and you stop hearing from them.

Oh, but not Jane! No, she requires explanations. I've done my best to avoid dealing with her, and that's clearly not going to work. So I think I'll go halfway between vague and honest:

I'm sorry I haven't made it to your blog, but at this time, I don't have time for additional subscriptions. I appreciate the time you take to read and comment mine, but if it isn't something you enjoy doing for its own sake, then please don't feel obligated to continue doing so. I know your time is valuable too, and I wouldn't want you to waste it on a one-sided blogging relationship.

Best of luck to you and your cause,
Christie.

A firm Thanks-But-No-Thanks, but not a rude one. I hope she quietly unsubscribes and refrains from tossing me to the lions.


10 comments:

Alissa Grosso said...

I've never had a MySpace account, but I've heard from someone else about blogging on MySpace, and it sounds a bit crazy. "Jane" sounds like she must be pretty unreasonable. So, good luck with that!

I wanted to let you know I have a blog award for you today. Details are here:
http://slightlymorethandirt.blogspot.com/2009/12/post-where-i-catch-up-on-those-blog.html

Corpus Christie said...

If you don't have a kid to keep tabs on, i don't recommend it at all. This place seems far more civil :)

A blog award? Sweet, thank you, i'll come check it out :)

Angelia said...

I had one like that. I just quietly unsubscribed too. I still don't think she has noticed.

Stephanie Faris said...

MySpace certainly attracts some mentally imbalanced people, doesn't it?

I always pitied people who had so much time on their hands, they obsessed over every subscriber and noticed when one person unsubscribed. Even more disturbing, that the person is so lost in her own loser-ness, she doesn't feel embarrassed about confronting you about it. You have to feel sorry for that.

Corpus Christie said...

Oh, believe me, Ang, she noticed. She asked me about it :P I coulda swore i told you about that.

Steph, i KNOW you've had your share of crazies. This one doesn't even come close to some of the stuff you had to deal with, but it's more than i ever expected to have to.

Lothiriel said...

OH MY GAWD, I AGREE WITH YOU SO MUCH! haha...just kidding...

But I'm with you on the whole you don't have to read me just because I read you thing. I don't care that some of the bloggers I'm subscribed to, don't read my blog, or that they rarely comment. You're right. Who the hell wants to read sh*t they don't like??

How can I follow you here? I can't find it. I gotta look you up on myspace. I like myspace even thougn it's being overun by preteens.

Corpus Christie said...

I'm glad i'm not the only one! I do wish they had some sort of an I Was Here button like Myspace does. That way i could say i liked it without leaving a comment, if i'm pressed for time.

You don't need to find me on Myspace if you don't like. Everything i post over there gets posted over here :) There's a little button at the very very top that says "follow", i think you click on that. I don't know how to get the google thing to pop up that i see on other peoples' pages. I'll get the hang of this site one of these days :)

Lothiriel said...

Found it. I'm still new with this as well. I just learned how to show my e-mail so people can reply to my comments through e-mail rather than posting replies on the blog comments. That's what this blog needs; direct replies to each comment.

I found you on myspace and subscribed. but yeah, I do the same as well; post the same blogs. Eventually, I'll move over here.

AngeliStarr said...

Yeah, I remember the drama over there. Aww man, Im glad Im done over there. I rarely even log in anymore. Just to check any comments or messages, thats it. Oh and whatever bloggers arent here on blogger i check them out as well.

If anything I miss the direct replies in the comments. Its a pain having to direct your comments at the person youd like to respond to.

Corpus Christie said...

I wish this place had direct replying, too. I guess there's no such place as the perfect blogging site :)