Thursday, December 3, 2009

Snippet From Oklahoma #1


I arrived at my Nana's house after a rather exhausting trip in my Jeep. For those who've never taken a road trip in almost-winter in a Jeep. . . well, it's far, far less than comfortable. I won't bore you with the details, but i will say that the only road trips Jeeps are meant for are ones in the summer, with the top down.

There were hugs all around, trips to the bathroom, unpackings, and ploppings down on furniture more suited to being sat on for extended periods (made all the more comfortable by the relative discomfort we'd sat in for the last 8ish hours). We were the last to arrive; my aunt, cousin, sister, brother-in-law, niece and nephew were already there. Nana, Aunt Trisha, my cousin Corrinne, and my niece Morgan were all dressed to go out, and Nana invited us to go with. It was a Thanksgiving dinner at my Aunt Jan's church.

I'd been to Aunt Jan's churches before (i think this one was a different one, but after the previous two, i didn't hold out much hope for improvement), and i wasn't of a mind to go be dressed up in uncomfortable clothing, and sit among people who made me uncomfortable after a long uncomfortable trip, so i declined. Nana turned to my nephew, Carter, and asked if he'd like to come to dinner with his sister. Carter looked dubiously up from his Nintendo DS.

"At a church?"

"Yes."

"Noooo-ho-ho-ho. No."

2 comments:

Alissa Grosso said...

As a former Jeep owner, I do have to say that Jeeps can be very good for winter road trips if there happens to be snow involved. I gave up on Jeeps after having serious engine problems with my last Cherokee, and even though I have a 4 wheel drive vehicle it's nowhere near as good in the snow as my Jeeps were.

Corpus Christie said...

I've had this Wrangler nine years, and all i've had to do with it is replace the radiator and the usual oil-change-type maintenance :) It's a dream up here in Chicago's lake-effect snow.

I really would love a comfier traveling vehicle, though.