Thursday, November 13, 2008

My Brain is a Bad Eighties Radio Station Stuck on Repeat

Lately when i wake up in the morning, the very first thing my brain does is pick up in the same spot of Michael Jackson's "Bad". It's agonizing! My waking routine goes something like this:

Alarm sounds.

I get up and turn it off (on autopilot).

My brain starts playing (at full mental volume) "Nooo wants to BEEE deFEAted! Showin' how funky and strong is your fight. . . It doesn't matter who's wrong or right. . ."

You get the idea. It's been happening this way for weeks now. WEEKS! I get in the shower and sing loudly in my vain attempts to uproot this unwanted morning soundtrack from my mind and supplant it with something more palatable. Unfortunately, my brain is rebellious at that time of the morning, and it knows that i fumble for control over it like Helen Keller with a Rubik's cube. As i struggle for dominion over its processes, it skips around from one song i hate to another song i hate, for most of the duration of my morning shower.

"
This tainted love you've given, I give you all a boy could give you!"

"What's new, Pussycat? WOOOAHWOAHWOAH!"

"We're caught in a trap. I can't walk out. Because I LOOOVE you too much baybeh!"

"Why, why WHYYYYYY DeLIlah!"

"We built this city on Rock and ROOOOOOOLLL!!!!!"

"When the children cry, let em know we try!"

The moment i give up, it reverts right back to Mr. Jackson belting out his idealized version of a fight. Ultimately i triumph once i get out of the shower and into the living room. My secret weapon of mass disruption: iTunes. Not, fair, i know. But i do have to show my brain who's boss every now and then.

No comments: